Saturday, October 18, 2014

Weekly Journal 3

October 18, 2014

This week on October 17, 2014, I reviewed the words I learned on October 10th and I also began learning a few other basic words in ASL. Not only that, but I also finally memorized the three versions of the word "single" and I felt very accomplished in doing so. As for the new words that I have learned this past week, they are the following: "brother," "sister," "home," "work," "school," "store," "church," "chocolate," "come" and "go," "car," and also "in" and "out". Somehow I stumbled upon the sweet phrase of "I Love You" and also decided to learn that even though I planned on sticking solely to only learning basic words. However, to my surprise, the phrase of "I Love You" is not difficult at all. It is actually quite simple considering that it is only one simple hand position. It is important to continue learning the above-mentioned basic words in ASL because without them, I would not be able to communicate with those who suffer from being deaf and/or mute. All of these little words play a big part in getting to know a person because these are all words that I would use when sharing things about myself. One pattern that I continue to see is that knowing the alphabet really helps for words like "chocolate" because when trying to communicate this word, I will need to use the letter "C" in ASL. Plus, I love chocolate. Another pattern that I continue to see is that I must continue reviewing and memorizing the alphabet and these words so that I do not forget them because they are essential to this entire project. For example, whenever I find myself doing nothing, I practice the alphabet once more. In my opinion, I have done pretty well and I have made progress. Next, I will review the words that I have learned this past week and I will continue to learn more words in ASL.

2 comments:

  1. That makes a lot of sense that you are learning things to learn about and talk to people who are deaf and/or mute. Are you going to practice having a conversation with someone so the motions become more fluid?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope to have a conversation with someone however, I do not know anyone else who knows ASL or is in the process of learning it.

    ReplyDelete