Sunday, October 12, 2014

Reflection 2

       This post is a bit late due to a current illness that required me to stay in bed, but I am up and running again and ready to report. I am proud to say that I am making great progress with sign language. During class I used the ASL website and YouTube video to practice and master the words I already know, while also learning more words from different categories. I now know over 50 signs! My previous goal seems a bit too easy now, as I am moving so smoothly through the ASL course. I have rearranged my schedule for this project and I have set more goals for myself that seem a bit harder or will take longer to achieve. I plan on learning all 100 basic signs offered by the ASL website during the next two weeks, while also searching for more sources to use after I do learn the basic signs. I also plan on asking my friend (who knows sign language) how to structure sentences and ask for some tips on what to do when communicating with someone using signs. I want to learn the proper way to sign,yet I also want to be able to pick up on some tricks that fluent signers use, so that I not only learn this skill, but apply it.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry that you weren't feeling well! Hopefully now you are doing better. What made you want to learn ASL? Growing up I had a couple of friends who spoke in sign language, so I learned the alphabet (and would spell out words) and a couple signs. We would play a game where one of us would sign a letter (a), then the other would do another letter (n). We would keep going back and forth until we had spelled out a word. The person who signed the last letter in the word got a point =) I am so proud of you for learning so many signs and for pushing yourself to more challenging goals! It's amazing what you can accomplish when you are super excited about something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do feel better, and I've been catching up on this project and trying to move forward. I started this project because I have a friend whose father is deaf, and I thought it would be a good idea for me to learn a skill that would help me communicate with other people that cannot communicate using a language I already know. Also, I felt that knowing ASL would better my chances at a good career, since I could communicate to a wider range of people. I actually did something similar to you a couple years ago, when me and my friend learned the alphabet and a couple signs to talk to each other during class. Thank you for your comment!

      Delete