Monday, October 13, 2014

Twenty Percent Reflection 2

On Thursday, I spent most of my time watching talks from actors. What I learned from this was the importance that theater actually has on people. Notably, an actor named Jim Hogan spoke about his life as an actor in New York City. He is constantly going on auditions and so seldom getting callbacks because that is the art that he loves, saying, "I have been trained to transport you and take you on a journey and tell you a story so that at the end of two and a half hours, you and I will have changed. We will have experienced something together and will never be the same, and I think that's pretty incredible."

I think that's pretty incredible, too. Jim's words resonated with me, and viewing acting in the way he described is something that I have never done before. Although my acting techniques were not actually affected by this, I think Thursday's class improved me as an actor because it has given me a deeper appreciation for the craft. Now that I have exposed myself to new ideas about the theory and importance of acting, I hope to spend next class practicing my accents. I have already filmed the "before" of my three monologues, and I am looking forward to begin improving the details of my performances in the coming weeks!

1 comment:

  1. This is a really detailed and great description of what you have been working on so far! I love how you included quotes and analyzed what you thought about your project - it really helps me to understand why you are doing this and how your research has affected what you are doing. Who knew that acting could be so deep? I am so excited to learn more! I think that was a great job to do "before" videos because it will really show how much you've learned!

    ReplyDelete