Sunday, October 19, 2014

Twenty Percent Reflection 3

On Thursday, I watched YouTube videos of how to do different accents. In my proposal, something I said would be easy about this project is the fact that practicing in class means I have an audience. What I failed to realize is that it is not practical for me to actually rehearse my skills in class because it is nerve racking to perform in front of people without having rehearsed it beforehand, especially as I am breaking out of my comfort zone and trying theater techniques with which I am not very familiar. So I silently practiced my accents in class, noting what the instructors in the videos said, and went home to rehearse for real. I think my British accent is coming along nicely, but my Scottish accent is horrible. I am still just trying to learn to speak in these accents, and then being a character in these accents will come next. Since I have spent time working on my accents at home, I am hoping that by next class I will be able to act in them, rather than just speak in them. This is trickier than it sounds because my mind will have to focus not only on giving a convincing performance but also, speaking in a way that is unnatural to me.

1 comment:

  1. I totally know what you mean! If you know certain words it can be easy - but to actually get the accent. I tried speaking in an Australian accent, but I only know how to say two things:

    Good Eye Might - say it really fast... Good 'ay mate!
    Raise Up Light - say it really fast.. Razor blades!

    So I just say... Good 'ay mate! I'm shaving with my razor blades!

    And I don't know how to say anything else. Haha. Good luck with your practice!

    ReplyDelete