Monday, October 13, 2014

Reflection 2

Apologies for the late post. My project is going well; fencing is an even more interesting sport than I had imagined. I have been reading the books I borrowed. One really interesting chapter from By the Sword by Richard Cohen is about Helene Mayer, "The Womand who Saluted Hitler." She was a foilist prodigy who represented Germany in many Olympic games, starting in 1928, and her father was Jewish. I haven't finished the chapter yet though.Yesterday was my first lesson with my friend, and I learned how you're supposed to stand and move your feet. I find very it interesting how the different kinds of fencing have different origins. Epee, for example, is supposed to resemble a "real" sword fight more than the other weapons, because it is heavier and used to stab people anywhere on the body. Sabre, on the other hand, resembles more battle on horseback. Slashing or stabbing is legal for this weapon, but hits to the leg are illegal because it was considered dishonorable to hurt another man's horse.

1 comment:

  1. That is amazing that while learning about fencing, you can learn so much about history as well! I love how detailed you were in what you were reading about and the part that you found interesting. I really found your post interesting to read! I also find the rules you discussed interesting since they are so different from rules in sports we play today.

    ReplyDelete