Sunday, October 19, 2014

Reflection 3

The proposal has been written. It's pretty rough, and I plan on showing Mrs. Linnet the proposal and see what she thinks of it. She was the one who offered the idea of getting the piano repaired. She mentioned it a few times last year, but I didn't take the opportunity. A bit of a shame, but i'm glad I caught on to the idea now. She is somewhat of a guide for me, offering suggestions on what I should do in order to ensure that the project can be done efficiently. During last week, I've been taking a look at different types of pianos, from up-right to grand pianos. One of the most interesting was an Otto Altenburg grand piano that my local high school uses for Chorus. A sleek black piano with a strong, melodic sound. I played, listened carefully, and inspected the insides. Several steps above the condition of the baby grand in Magnet. The strings were in good condition, tuned well and in good care. When I looked at the Otto, I felt that the project had more potential. I now look at it as though that, besides the pedals, the piano wasn't necessarily broken. It was actually mostly intact. Through-out this project, I felt really uneasy. I was focused on the price and the time. Would it be too much? Would I be able to finish it? Is it really worthwhile? Am I too worried about an old baby grand piano that has been sitting in a school lobby for god knows how long? I do see a light in this, and I plan to hand in my proposal this week. In the mean time, Alex out.

1 comment:

  1. There are always questions we ask ourselves when we tackle projects like these, but the outcome is also huge! Very exciting, Alex. Can't wait to hear more about your proposal!

    ReplyDelete