Sunday, March 15, 2015

Week 3, Semester 2

  Describing this past week as "hectic" would be a gross understatement; in fact, the claim that the previous description is a gross understatement is, in and of itself, a gross understatement. The PARCC, though it limited the amount of homework assigned by some teachers, prevented the use of computers doing co-curricular. In addition to preventing me from spending school time to further my exploration of JavaScript, but prevented me from doing homework during that time period, which also made me have less time at home. All the same, I did manage to complete the second "chapter" of CodeAcademy's lessons.
   Chapter 2 had me construct a fairly simple "Choose your own adventure" game using pop-up menus. I learned how to create prompts and responses to the user's actions for such prompts. For example, I could create a pop-up that says "What 7 + 4?"; if the user types "11", then I can program an affirmative response; if the user answers otherwise, then i can program a negative response. The prompts form the basis of user interaction , which is the basic concept of any game. This is how I will program my basic game, at least a "Choose your own adventure" game that I could work on in my spare time.
   All in all, I could have worked on my project more; though PARCC blocked my access to the necessary resources and time needed to make progress, I plan to amend my lack of progress this week: with a greater knowledge of my schedule and projects this week, I should be able to complete two "chapters" of CodeAcademy's lessons. I will further explore what JavaScript is capable of in terms of video game creation and, within the next few weeks, choose the format of my game. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. wow, a Choose Your Own Adventure type of programming game seems way more complex than a level 2! I'm glad you're enjoying this plan, despite having a hard time with time resources right now.

    ReplyDelete