Sunday, March 29, 2015

2nd Semester Reflection 5

This week I made Broccoli Cheddar Pockets. While they were not my favorite, they still tasted pretty good and they definitely were a healthy alternative to burritos or calzones. The importance of this week specifically was that I learned how to work with dough (using flour, kneading it, rolling it, and applying an egg wash), with the help of my mom. Seeing as I want to be able to bake, throughout this project and in life, knowing how to handle dough will certainly be critical. I noticed that as I made each pocket, the easier it became, and the pockets I made last looked and tasted better than my initial attempts. I was content with this week's work; the pockets were not the greatest, but they had good balance and were baked perfectly. I am happy, however, that I found a healthier alternative to burritos (I do love my Chipotle, but sometimes making these pockets at home will help my health and my wallet). Next week I am going to make a dessert: Lemon Icebox Bars. I love Lemon Bars, and using low-fat cream cheese and fat-free condensed milk will make these treats healthier than the norm. I can't wait. Until then!



Lemon Icebox Bars
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/lemon-icebox-bars-recipe.html

1 comment:

  1. As a huge burrito fan, I feel compelled to share with you a favorite recipe for my family. If you feel up to it, you can make the corn salsa and the guac from scratch. http://balancedbrunette.com/2013/07/24/quick-healthy-burrito-bowl/

    ReplyDelete