Saturday, November 15, 2014

Weekly Journal 6 Pt. 2

November 15, 2014
In continuation to the week of November 8th, this week on November 14, 2014, I continued my twenty percent time session by reviewing the previously learned set of words from last week. Then, I began to learn the following: “bathroom,” “brush-teeth,” “sleep,” “nice/clean,” “happy,” “angry,” “sad,” “sorry/apologize/regret,” “cry,” “like” as in “I like it,” “good,” “love” (including another version of “I Love You”), “please”, “excuse”, “laid-off/released from duty/pardoned,” and “thank you”. There is a great importance in learning the above-mentioned words for the reason being that I could use them whenever, especially those that express emotion. I could use these words again whenever I want to tell another how my day has been going, how I’ve been feeling, and in turn, ask them about their day and how it has made them feel. In addition to the patterns mentioned in Journal 6, Part 1, I have also noticed a new pattern this week: ASL gestures relating to everyday hand-gestures. What do I mean by this? Well, what do you do when you wish to enter the bathroom, but have no clue if someone is already occupying it? You knock on the door! The hand gesture for “bathroom” is very similar, if not the same for some, as knocking on the bathroom door, thus making it a very easy-to-memorize word. This week I believe that I have done well and I cannot wait to continue learning more words in ASL next week. Also, I hope that in a few weeks I will finish learning the first 100 basic words in ASL from this website: http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-layout/concepts.htm! Needless to say, I am very much enjoying learning something new and unique!

No comments:

Post a Comment