Sunday, November 16, 2014

Reflection 6

Yesterday, I made something completely new. When my partner and I were surfing the internet for new ideas and recipes we found something interesting and in season: ginger snaps! To prepare them we used blackstrap molasses. This ingredient made this good paleo. It is relatively low-carb and sweet (which is what we want). After baking these snaps and finally being able to enjoy them, I relaized that they were far too salty. I guess when we were mixing the ingredients we used too much salt. We thought that by adding slat we can add another flavor but it didnt work out the way we wanted it too (oh well). In the process of making these snaps we had come across a decision: whether to use almond meal or almond butter. Hoping the butter would make the snaps more gooey, we went along with it. Fortunately, it did! Now the question stands, what would have they tasted like if we used the meal? I added this on my list, next time when baking snaps we have to use the almond meal and compare the outcome. I want to learn how certain ingredients can affect the appearance and texture of the food.

In the second marking period, my partner and I want to move onto making full meals. The problem with this is that making full meals each week costs money. I guess we will be able to do it once or twice but more than that is difficult. I guess when we get better at making these dishes we can actually serve them to people (if theyre edible)?! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I think it is so great that you are experimenting with baking! I think your idea to make the cookies another way and then compare the two are a great idea.

    Hope it goes well.

    Mrs. Zvi
    Teacher in Surrey, BC

    ReplyDelete