Sunday, December 7, 2014

Weekly Journal 9

December 7, 2014
This past week on December 4, 2014, I began my twenty percent time session by reviewing the words I learned on November 29th. After, I began to learn the following words: “cat,” “dog.” “bird,” “horse,” “cow,” “sheep,” “pig,” and “bug”. Learning these words is important because animals are important. That’s it; animals are wonderful. Although these words would not be used in everyday conversation unless you were a farmer, these words can be used if you are spending the day at the zoo or on a farm! This week I noticed the usual patterns of memorizing, and that of having the alphabet play a big part in signing a great deal of the words. In addition, I also noticed that the slightest change of hand movement from that of the correct one, can affect the entire meaning of the word, such as bending or fluttering the fingers when you sign the word “pig”. It turns out that if you flutter the fingers, instead of bending them, it changes the meaning of the word “pig” to “dirty”. I believe that this week I have done well considering that I have finally finished learning the first 100 basic words in ASL. Next, I will review as many words as I can for part of my twenty percent time session in class, and I will also spend some time learning numbers. I realize that I should have learned numbers after the alphabet, but I honestly forgot that numbers are very important in communicating with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment