Sunday, December 7, 2014

Reflection 10, Taylor

My dad makes the best turkey at Thanksgiving. I was dying to learn his recipe, so this week he finally took the time out to teach me. The first steps is to remove the neck, liver, and gizzards from the inside of the turkey. That part of the process was sickening. I had to wash the turkey and clean the fat off next. Then I put it in the pan and shot it with marinated seasoning with a large syringe. I forgot to measure how many pounds the turkey weighed so I did not know how long to cook it. Turkeys needs to be deep fried at three minutes a pound and since I did not know the size of the turkey I had to continuously check on the turkey and probe it with a thermostat to see if it reached at least 180 degrees. When i thought it was finished I cut the leg open but it was still bleeding, so my dad had to put it back in the grease. This was very frustrating and I realized I needed to be more careful following directions because I can possibly ruin my turkey. The next time I make a turkey I will know how much it weighs to calculate the time needed to cook in order to avoid constantly checking the turkey for its completion. On the bright side, I gained patience due to the time consuming process which will be helpful for future entrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment