Sunday, December 28, 2014

Reflection 13

Well, the holidays happened. Now, it may be hard to believe, but having twenty-eight people and three dogs under one roof makes concentrating a little more difficult than it would be otherwise. Nevertheless, I did manage to get some work done on the story; not as much as I would have liked (as per usual), but a few pages.
I am not cut out to write narratives. I am still unsure as to why; I greatly enjoy writing ideas and quests for video games, I am a great fan of tabletop role-playing games (and have become proficient in crafting worlds and stories for players in them), I am an avid reader of both fiction and nonfiction... yet I am unable to create stories. I believe the trouble lies in the specifics: I can create a main plot with a multitude of key points, yet I am unable to write "filler" content, or events that take place between those structured intervals. In both thinking of video game plotlines or tabletop RPG ideas, I rely heavily on the interaction of others for said content. In a novel or story, this content needs to be carried out by a person or persons whom the reader has no influence over; as such, these events need to be fully imagined by me. Maybe this stems from my obsession with legends and tales as a child, or my later expeditions into the realm of video games with player-focused content, or perhaps I'm simply writing this sentence to go beyond the 100-word minimum (which I already have, but it never hurts to write too much), but my mind seems to be hardwired to ignore these events altogether and am unable to focus on small details of characters or events.
In any case, I shall continue writing my story over the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment