Sunday, May 17, 2015

Uhhhh... Catching up? (Forgotten Reflection 11)

Did I really forget this one? Um, yeah. It seems like I have. Must have been a rough weekend. I don't quite remember. It's probably too late, but I'm just doing this to catch up. Last week (This was written down somewhere thankfully):

 I completed Lessons 6 and 7 which covers the meaning of intervals and the second octave of a major scale and applies it to The Star Spangled Banner. An octave is the same not, but played in a higher or lower pitch. It doesn't really sound much different to the ear, just a little better. Why are octave useful? Well apparently, it helps for tuning (compare one string to another closed note) and octaves can be used as a special technique to give notes variety (I fail to see how this is useful to me as a beginner but okay). Intervals are the spaces between notes. From the first note (root) to the second is a second interval (a whole step. Then comes the root to the third (the third interval), the root to the fourth (the perfect fourth), to the fifth (fifth interval), to the sixth (a perfect sixth), to the seventh (the seventh interval), and finally to the eighth, the octave! *pants out of breath* Okay! So the first octave is how I learned it in black and there's the second octave in red, using a totally different finger placement than the major scales. So I'm a little sketchy on the Star Spangled Banner, but as I recall, I have songs to learn right? So I won't focus on this song too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment