Sunday, May 10, 2015

Reflection 11

  This week, I spent much more time writing the text and branching story of the game itself; as previously said, I've learned everything I need to have learned in order to code the basic text-based game, so I am holding off on learning more JavaScript until after the project is over and the game is completed.
  Although I wrote much this past week, most of the text ended up being trashed. Soon into writing my 19th-century-esque story of espionage and intrigue, I realized it was a little more complicated than expected. As such, I decided to switch to a more generic adventure/story/game based on a crashed spaceship. Without the use of chance-based events that are affected by players' items and choices, I decided, it would be far too simple for the plot to work. As such, I spent this week writing a far more generic game about the crash of a spaceship. Now, however, I begin to realize that the story is a bit too generic; I am having trouble focusing on it and, if I cannot keep myself interested in a story of my own creation, how am I supposed to engage the player (would they be 'readers' in this context? Food for thought). As such, I feel now that I should move back to the original plot idea (of which a decent amount has been written), and focus only on the story such that I would be able to make progress while returning later to add random number generation and statistics.
  I am satisfied with the speed of my progress this week, and feel confident that I will be able to work at a similar pace and actually have the work count for something in the coming week.
  Until then, until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment