Sunday, April 26, 2015

Reflection 9

This week, I found a recipe for blueberry scones! This recipe was simple enough, so Mickey came over to make it with me. I knew I would have to use strawberries in leu of blueberries, but I thought I had everything I needed.  Unfortunately, I was missing one key ingredient: almond flour. Since the recipe called for coconut flour and almond flour, I wondered if I could just use all coconut flour. When I looked up substitutions, I didn't find anywhere that coconut flour could directly substitute almond flour (which makes sense because they are very different in consistency and weight). I learned that I substitute the almond for tapioca flour, which I luckily had. The website I found said to use equal parts coconut flour and tapioca flour, but scones are supposed to be more dense than muffins or cakes. Knowing that coconut flour is very heavy, I took an educated guess at the proportions of which I should use each ingredient for scones. I used 1/2 cup coconut flour and 1 cup tapioca flour (instead of 1/4 cup coconut flour and 1 1/4 cup almond flour, as called for). Thankfully, I made a good estimation of the proportion that would create the right consistency for scones. I learned how to mix flours to create different textures through making these scones. After all said and done, the scones came out perfectly and deliciously.

No comments:

Post a Comment