Monday, January 5, 2015

Weekly Journal 12

January 5, 2015

This week on January 5, 2015, I began my twenty percent time by reviewing the eight phrases I learned on December 22, 2014. I did not have time this week or over the break to work on reviewing a chunk of the basic words, however I do plan on working on that later this week. After reviewing the first eight phrases, I learned the last seven phrases: “Is this yours?” “Where is he/she?” “Are you married?” “Do you go to school?” “Nice to meet you.” “Do you understand me?” and “Why are you learning sign language?” As with the first eight, learning these final seven phrases is very important due to the fact that they are solid conversation starters. I could use any of these fifteen phrases when speaking to a deaf-mute. A new pattern that I noticed this week was when I was learning how to sign, “Nice to meet you” it joined two fingers together to communicate the action of meeting. This shows how sign language incorporates different everyday signs that people who can speak and hear do even when they do not realize that they are doing it. On an unrelated note, I believe that the hardest phrase was the final one, “Why are you learning sign language?” This question has a lot of hand movements and it is quite confusing, this is one that I will surely have to review very often. This week I believe that I have done okay. I could have done more, however time simply slipped away from me. Next, I hope to review all fifteen phrases and if time permits, find and learn more phrases online.

No comments:

Post a Comment