Thursday, September 25, 2014

My 20% Time Proposal

     The project I will be working on is a model of sorts. It can be labeled as a sculpture too. It will be of wood, high density foam, possibly Styrofoam as well, plastic canvas, and fake airbrushed fur. Only for electronic components will my father be helping me. I picked a model of a wolf for conservation education about endangered species. The model is dedicated to creating a realistic wolf and educating audiences about its behaviors and social life. Although this project is somewhat costly, I believe it is worthwhile because the end product and lessons I learn during its creation will serve for my possible future in engineering. I expect to learn several things from this experience. Not only am I brushing up on both animal knowledge and public speaking skills, I will be learning how to airbrush as well as obtain a level of programming knowledge for electronic devices.
     If all goes well, I'll have a wolf that can bark, growl, howl, and can move some parts. His eyes will light up, parts will move, and audio will sound off based on his "moods". The expenses involved in the project are covered mostly by the fact I have a lot of materials already. I have fur, foam, and clay. My father knows where to find cheaper electronic parts since he himself is a computer/electronic engineer. The rest will be paid for by yours truly and her savings. JoAnn Fabric and Craft stores have foam and fur on discount for students. A nearby A.C.Moore has paint and resin for the eyes, jaw set, and airbrushing. A nearby Home-Depot is where I can get wood, or any materials regarding electronics. My timeline is based on the model's structure:
1. Map out Measurements
2. Build wooden skeleton
3. Secure the hinges on the skeleton
4. Start on the skull
5. Work on the jaw hinge without electronics
6. Attach head on skeleton and build tail
7. Start on moving pieces
-Jaw mechanism
-Flicking ears
-Tail mechanism
8. Foam body and head
9. Fur body, head, and tail
10. Airbrush
11. Program LEDs
13. Find audio and program speakers
14. Make resin eyes
15. Make jawset (attach 12 and 13 to wolf)

No comments:

Post a Comment