Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Reflection 14: Tardiness Breeds Tardiness, Apparently

This past week, my schedule was packed with projects, tests, assignments, and unavoidable personal events that I could not have predicted; as such, I did not have much time to work on my 20% Project. All the same, I did continue writing it and even went back to the course after I figured out how to debug the old "Rock-Paper-Scissors" game I coded and finally get it working (I had not realized that I  was required to define a certain variable, as I had not realized it was a user-created variable and not a default command). However, while conducting research online, I found something that I probably should have researched sooner but that--in all fairness--the program I used neglected to tell me: JavaScript has no pre-existing user interface. The only way to get it to interact efficiently with users or (and this is where the trouble arises) to get it to display text on the screen. While it is theoretically possible to create such an interface in JavaScript, doing so is beyond me as the only "display-text" command I have been taught only shows the text in the console, which is not accessible by a user when playing. As such, coding the game and playing it with the script of code during the presentation will be impossible. I don't want to make all the time I spent writing the game to be useless; as such, I plan on taking people through the Twine-script and explain which command is assigned to which action in the game (explaining such things as using random number generators and variables to create a character's "statistics" or items).
This week, I began working on the presentation and will have it finished by Friday; I also began editing the game's text and will have it all but completed by Friday as well. Until then, until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment